Beginning in the late 1800’s, Central Park, located in the center of the downtown Red Wing’s Historic Mall District, had hosted a variety of community events such as political rallies, memorials, weddings, church services, festivals and music events. The bandstand in the park, which was built in the 1930’s, limited the types of performances that could be held outdoors with protection from the elements. In 2007, the Jones Family Foundation began a partnership with the City of Red Wing to make enhancements to Central Park, to include construction of a new bandshell. The goal was to create a “community living room”. Guided by a steering committee consisting of representatives from a wide range of stakeholders in the community, construction of a new bandshell began in the fall of 2008 and over 1,500 community members celebrated the completion of construction with a grand opening celebration and dedication on July 4, 2009. In 2019, The Jones Family Foundation provided additional enhancements of decorative lighting in the park to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the bandshell. Today the park hosts a wide variety of community activities and performances each year, from the Red Wing Arts Concerts in the Park, to school activities, and festivals.